It's time to start digging through attic labyrinths of boxed-up stuffed animals and dusty electronics. Squirrel away some pocket change, too.
Santa Monica is gearing up for its third annual citywide garage sale is Sept. 22. It starts at 8 a.m.
The event is designed to divert unwanted goods from landfills.
"It's a reuse effort," said Santa Monica's Resource Recovery & Recycling Manager Kim Braun. "Rather than push something you might not want anymore into the trash, this is a good avenue to find someone who will reuse it again."
A map of participating locations and a catalog of items for sale will be available to the public starting Sept. 15.
The deadline for residents and organizations to register to sale items is Sept. 14.
"Whether you are trying to clear out your garage or searching for secondhand treasures, this event is for you," city staffers said in a press release announcing the event.
What You Need to Know
- Register online at smgov.net/r3 by Sept. 14.
- Plan your own set up right in your own front yard, and invite neighbors to join in, too.
- Wake up early Sept. 22 to set out the goods.
- After collecting cash for your treasures, survey what is leftover and determine what can be donated to local organizations using the city's "Reuse Resource List," which is available online.
- Mark your calendars
- Keep an eye on smgov.net/r3 for a map of participating locations and the items for sell available beginning Sept. 15.
- Visit sales across Santa Monica on Sept. 22.