The Southern California Gas Co. Friday asked customers to take conservation measures as a recent cold snap gripping the nation puts pressure on natural gas supplies.
“We know a typical home’s natural gas use for heating increases, sometimes up to three times more during colder months,'' said Roger Schwecke, vice president of customer solutions for the Southern California Gas Co.
Customers were advised to:
- use extra blankets and sweaters and lower home thermostats by three to five degrees, measures that can reduce heating costs by up to 30 percent;
- limit use of non-essential gas appliances such as fireplaces and spas; and
- use less hot water, turn down water heater thermostats and insulate water heaters;
The utility also reminded customers of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, advising residents to never use ovens, ranges or outdoor grills to heat homes.
The use of carbon monoxide detectors with fresh batteries was also recommended.
Anyone suspecting that they or someone else is suffering symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning — which include nausea, headache, drowsiness, confusion and flu-like symptoms — should call 911 immediately.
— City News Service