For "," an ongoing and open-ended series, we ask prominent figures in the community what they most enjoy about the city. In this edition, we touch base with Steve Howard, star of Sylvia, which is playing at the through Sept. 18.
1. The birthplace of S.M. Howard, Sr. and Jr.: "My son and I were both born in Santa Monica Hospital. I have always taken pride in announcing my birthplace wherever I have traveled or lived."
2. The Frank Gehry-designed Edgemar complex: "I adore the Edgemar—especially the theater complex, where, three to four nights a week, I live with my beautiful Labradoddle 'Sylvia' (strikingly similar in appearance to actress Tanna Frederick). [We enjoy] the extraordinary pre- or post-theater dining opportunities at ."
3. Biking on the strand: "I spent a delightfully salty afternoon during riding up the coast with my co-star, Cathy Arden, on beach cruisers. [It was] relaxing and entertaining."
4. Surfing in Santa Monica Bay: "I learned to surf near the (now-dismantled) POP pier when I was a teenager. Project is expected to have their annual Surf-a-thon near that spot in October—I will be there, and I will surf."
5. Leslie Turner, stage manager, Sylvia: "I promised I'd say that. Actually, Alexandra Guarnieri's entire staff at the theater—Denise, Christina, Kitty and Nick—are unparalleled and a joy to work with. And, a special shout-out to Jo, our understudy/ stage hand, and Ron Vigione, the editor-turned-actor that saved our show when my friend Tom Ayers took a health break."
Go for a recent review of Sylvia, and go for an edition of "My Santa Monica" with Sylvia star Tanna Frederick.