Greetings, and thanks for swinging by Santa Monica Patch. Windy enough for ya?
We mistakenly mentioned Thursday that today is the tax deadline. It's actually Monday this year. The extra three days are due to Emancipation Day, a holiday that celebrates the liberation of slaves in Washington, D.C., according to CNN. Emancipation Day is being observed Friday, and the tax code says filing deadlines can't land on holidays.
Also Thursday, presented our Friday highlights in the weekend guide, so today's SM AM Report will be a little shorter than usual.
Here's what else we posted Thursday:
Now, here's the rest of today's morning report:
- mostly sunny
- high temperature: 74 degrees
- low temperature: 57 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 0 percent
- humidity: 66 percent
- sunrise: 6:23 a.m.
- sunset: 7:26 p.m.
- Here's an item we missed in our weekend guide: Today unveils a new, high-energy dance performance that revolves around Afro-Brazilian mythology and religious folklore in Brazil. Behind "Orixas: Gods of Candomble" is multidisciplinary artist Leopold Nunan, who is from Rio de Janeiro. Tickets are $20, but they're half-off on Goldstar. The show starts at 8:30 p.m.
- Also today, John Deasy, former superintendent of the , assumes that same role with the Los Angeles Unified School District. Since August, he's been serving as the top deputy to previous LAUSD Superintendent Ramon Cortines. Read more about Deasy's appointment right .
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On Apr. 15, 2006, a Special Olympics Prom was held in Santa Monica. The event featured performances by John Stamos and America, who at another benefit show in Santa Monica.
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.
City News Service contributed to this report.