Good morning. In case you missed us yesterday, don't miss Newly Paul's on Santa Monica resident and primitive life-skills instructor Jim Robertson; the latest edition of ; and Gregg Heacock's about Saint John's controversial parking proposal.
As for today, here's what's up:
- high temperature: 63 degrees
- low temperature: 53 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 10 percent
- humidity: 63 percent
- sunrise: 6:35 a.m.
- sunset: 7:19 p.m.
The Main Event
- The Bike Action Plan will be the focus of tonight's Planning Commission meeting, with members discussing its initial projects and programs. At a subsequent public workshop, the commission will consider the actual draft of the plan. Go here for the full agenda for tonight's meeting, which will be held at starting at 7 p.m.; and go here to read Santa Monica Patch columnist Gary Kavanagh's column on the plan.
- The Jazz Combo will perform a song at the beginning of tonight's School Board meeting, which will also include discussion about this year's Stairway to the Stars program. The band will also show off the trophies it won last month at the Berklee College of Music High School Jazz Festival in Boston. The meeting will be held at 6 p.m. at the .
- It's the springtime, which means warmer temperatures, blossoming flowers—and allergies. If you're susceptible to the latter, check out the allergy discussion taking place at the Santa Monica Family YMCA. The free event will run from 6 to 7 p.m. and be led by the Exceptional Wellness Center's Gloria Phillips, D.C.
- The Annenberg Community Beach House will host its monthly Holistic Health Retreat today from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the Garden Terrace Room. The series is led by Dianne Porchia MA, and features a new theme and guest teachers each month.
- Applications for enrollment in kindergarten for the 2011-12 school year at the are due today. Call 310.828.0335 ext. 61-149 for more info, and go to read Gregg Heacock's profile on the school.
Last but Not Least
- 's Movies on the Deck series continues tonight with E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial. As usual, the free screening will begin at 7 p.m. on the Dining Deck.
(Go here for more events happening today.)
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On Apr. 6, 1990, the "new" west end of opened for the first time (source: Santa Monica Pier: A Century on the Last Great Pleasure Pier).
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.