Greetings. Welcome to the first SM AM Report of the week—and the first day of August.
Here's what we published over the weekend, in case you missed us:
Now, here's what's up today:
- mostly sunny
- high temperature: 74 degrees
- low temperature: 64 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 10 percent
- humidity: 70 percent
- sunrise: 6:05 a.m.
- sunset: 7:55 p.m.
The Main Event
- Abracadabra: There's a magic show at the today, as part of its ongoing Summer Activity Program. Dave Skale and his bunny, Goliath, will perform in the MLK Auditorium from 2:30 to 3:15 p.m. The show is free, of course.
- Meanwhile, over at the , that library's Teen Summer Craft Club continues with Safety Pin Wrist Cuff, during which teens create wrist cuffs using safety pins and beads. It's happening from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.
- And don't forget about the Fairview Branch, where the latest Family Fun Day takes place from 7 to 7:45 p.m. Crafts, rhymes and stories are on the program for the free event, which happens every Monday.
- Barnes & Noble has a storytime too, from 10 to 10:30 a.m. Like the above event, this one is also free and takes place every Monday.
- Artist Stephen Latty will stage Foliage, a new short play he wrote and directed, at the at 8:30 p.m. It's the second of two nights in which he's put on the production at the church.
Last but Not Least
- Also at the Fairview Branch is Learn to Knit, starting at 5 p.m.
(Go here for more events happening today.)
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On Aug. 1, 2009, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee Patti Smith played an acoustic set at the .
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.