Greetings, and welcome to The SM AM Report. Expect today to be about 5 degrees warmer than what we've been experiencing lately.
Here's what we published Wednesday, in case you missed us:
• (blog post)
Now, here's what's up today:
- high temperature: 77 degrees
- low temperature: 63 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 0 percent
- humidity: 63 percent
- sunrise: 6:17 a.m.
- sunset: 7:38 p.m.
The Main Event
- Famed author Mona Simpson—whose best-known work, Anywhere but Here, was turned into a movie starring Susan Sarandon and Natalie Portman—will be at the 's MLK Auditorium today. Starting at 7 p.m., the novelist will about her latest book, My Hollywood, by the Pasadena Star-News' Larry Wilson. Simpson is also a UCLA professor and, most importantly, a Santa Monica resident.
- A pretrial hearing for Paul Edmond Carpenter, the man charged with the 1998 shooting death of a German tourist near in Santa Monica, is scheduled to take place at Airport Branch Courthouse this morning.
- There are only four concerts left in this year's . Tonight's is Making Waves: A Night of Surf Guitar, featuring the Duo-Tones, Slacktone and The Eliminators. As usual, the show takes place from 7 to 10 p.m. on the and will be preceded by at 6 p.m.
- A little farther north on the beach, the hosts from 2 to 4 p.m. The house's game room, which is located on the Terrace Lounge, will be open for free.
- is also where it's at today. At 9:30 a.m., there's a and at 11 a.m. is (cost is $15).
Last but Not Least
- Downtown Santa Monica, Inc. holds its latest annual review at the from 8:30 to 10 a.m.
(Go here for more events happening today.)
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On Aug. 18, 1936, Santa Monica's own Robert Redford was born. Happy birthday to the legendary actor, environmentalist and philanthropist, who turns 75 today.
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.
City News Service contributed to this report.