Greetings, and welcome to The SM AM Report.
Here's what we published over the weekend, in case you missed us:
Here's what's up today:
- mostly sunny
- high temperature: 75 degrees
- low temperature: 64 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 0 percent
- humidity: 65 percent
- sunrise: 6:25 a.m.
- sunset: 7:24 p.m.
The Main Event
- students are having their first day of school today. Good luck with the fall semester.
- The design of buildings that will overlook the park is the main topic for tonight's special meeting of the Architectural Review Board. The meeting starts at 7 p.m. in the Council Chambers at . Go here for the agenda.
- The UCLA Family Commons continues its free series of diverse recreational events. Today is "Free Drop-in Mindfulness Meditation," a session that begins at 6 p.m. If you're 15 years or older, you're able to participate.
- Earlier in the day, the same venue hosts another free session, "Mommy & Me Music Class." "We’ll sing fresh versions of familiar songs, stretch like flowering plants, dance like butterflies, and make rhythmic sounds of rain," one of the event organizers wrote in their Santa Monica Patch event listing. It starts at 10:30 a.m.
- An hour earlier, the UCLA Family Commons' weekly free martial-arts classes get under way. Go for more info on those sessions.
Last but Not Least
(Go here for more events happening today.)
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On Aug. 29, 1925, a 10-day festival kicked off on the Ocean Park Pier (source: Images of America: Early Santa Monica).
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.
City News Service contributed to this report.