In the 1800s, Ocean Avenue, lined with eucalyptus trees and facing Linda Vista Park, which would later become Palisades Park, was home to wealthy and prominent citizens. Among them, was John P. Jones, whose home occupied the site of today's Fairmont-Miramar Hotel, according a report prepared in December for the city's planning department.
The 4.5-acre parcel, the only undivided square block of land remaining in Santa Monica, according to the Santa Monica Daily Press, was first used as an "apartment hotel" in 1924 when Los Angeles millionaire Gilbert Stevenson built the Palisades Wing. The L-shaped, brick clad building was landmarked by the city this week because of its historic integrity.
See: Fairmont-Miramar Hotel Awarded Partial Landmark Status
The photos above show the hotel throughout the years, including the bungalows that were added in 1938 on the periphery of the landscape along California and Ocean avenues, and the Ocean Tower, which opened 20 years later under the ownership of another hotelier, Joseph Massaglia.