Greetings, and welcome to The SM AM Report. Happy Bastille Day.
Here's what we published Wednesday, in case you missed us:
Now, here's what's up today:
- cloudy in the morning, sunny in the afternoon
- high temperature: 73 degrees
- low temperature: 60 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 10 percent
- humidity: 66 percent
- sunrise: 5:53 a.m.
- sunset: 8:06 p.m.
The Main Event
- Walk (like an Egyptian) to and you'll catch The Bangles performing arguably the most-anticipated installment in this year's Twilight Dance Series. The free show happens from 7 to 10 p.m.; Caracol will handle opening duties. An hour prior to the start of the concert, the Sonoma on the Deck series continues. Tonight, Argentinian wine from Solsticio will be featured.
- Author/performer/speaker Kelly Carlin is heading to the Just for Laughs Comedy Festival in Montreal later this month, but before she does, she's swinging by Santa Monica's own . The free engagement, dubbed Out in the World With Kelly Carlin, starts at 7:30 p.m.
- In honor of Bastille Day, starting at 6 p.m., will feature an oyster bar assembled by Christophe Happillon and will serve crepes made by Pierre-Lo. The regular menu will be available as well.
- In recognition of an altogether-different milestone—the 20th anniversary of Hudson Hawk—the will welcome director Michael Lehman and writer Daniel Waters to speak along with a screening of the Bruce Willis action flick. The movie starts at 7:30 p.m.; admission is $11, with discounts available.
- If it's a free film you're after, mosey on over to the at 6:30 p.m., when a showing of 2010's Death at a Funeral remake will start. Not to be confused with the 2007 French original, this version stars Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence.
Last but Not Least
- Sustainable Works' Green Living Workshop continues tonight at from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Go here for more info.
(Go here for more events happening today.)
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On July 14, 2008, the former JC Penney building located at 1202 Third St. was designated as a landmark.
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.