Greetings, and thanks for stopping by the latest SM AM Report.
Here's what we published Monday, in case you missed us:
• What We Have Here Is a Failure to Communicate (blog post)
Now, here's what's up today:
- partly cloudy
- high temperature: 69 degrees
- low temperature: 60 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 10 percent
- humidity: 75 percent
- sunrise: 5:42 a.m.
- sunset: 8:06 p.m.
The Main Event
- 's 81st Commencement Exercises happen today beginning at 6 p.m. on the main campus' Corsair Field. Dr. Robert J. Birgeneau—the current chancellor of UC Berkeley and the former president of the University of Toronto—will deliver the Commencement Address. For the second year in a row, the exercises will be webcast live here. Go here for more info about the event.
- Meanwhile, at SMC's Bundy Campus, the Sustainable Landscape Design series continues with a discussion called Plant, Soil, Water, Relationships. At the free workshop, attendees will learn about developing an effective watering schedule, improving soil structure, increasing water-holding capabilities and more. The class takes place from 4 to 7 p.m. and is intended for business professionals only.
- In yet more SMC news, the Art Mentor Program exhibition formally opens today. For more info, check out of the reception, which was held Saturday.
- Mini Mansions—an L.A. rock band featuring Queens of the Stone Age bassist Michael Shuman—play a free show at tonight. It will be joined by Incan Abraham, Stone Darling and Emma Ruth Rundle of the Nocturnes. The show starts at 8 p.m.
- The latest Beer Nite happens this evening at the 's Tasting Bar from 5 to 10 p.m. Pours will include wheat beers, Belgian ales and stouts. The cost is $20 per person for the beverages, along with chips, nuts, crostini and other snacks.
Last but Not Least
- The six-week Green Living Workshop continues this evening from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the . Go here for more info.
(Go here for more events happening today.)
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On June 14, 1959, world traveler and off-road racer Desmond McDonald was born at in Santa Monica.
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.