Greetings, and welcome to today's SM AM Report, which is a bit bigger than usual. We're officially halfway through June, by the way.
Here's what we published Tuesday on SM Patch:
Now, here's what's up today:
- June gloom in the morning, sun in the afternoon
- high temperature: 67 degrees
- low temperature: 60 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 0 percent
- humidity: 77 percent
- sunrise: 5:42 a.m.
- sunset: 8:07 p.m.
The Main Event
- Members of the who have been directing and producing their own movies are ready to roll back the curtain on them. The PYFC Film Crew Screening takes place starting at 4 p.m. at the center.
- For the older movie-loving set, the American Cinematheque continues its Grit and Whimsy II: The Best of Recent Belgian Cinema series by showing a fast-paced drama at 7:30 p.m. Madly in Love (Smoorverliefd) will be followed by a Belgian beer reception, put on by that country's consulate general, at the . Tickets are $11, with discounts available.
- Part one of the Laguna College of Art + Design's free MFA Thesis Exhibition ends today at ' Arena 1 Gallery. Participants include Alexsandra Babic, Eunice Choi, Alison Hyman, Mike Miller, Gina Mead, Kate Stipp and Latife Warshawsky. The second bracket of artists show their works at the same location starting Saturday.
- Also ending today is the 1000 Trees Art Show, by Argentinian artist Ricardo Caillet-Bois, at 1657 12th St. In the free exhibit, the Otis College of Art and Design and Art Institute teacher flaunts tree sketches he created on 1,000 paper napkins.
- , a new lifestyle boutique located on Main St., hosts New York Times bestselling author Sarah Brokaw this evening. From 6 to 9 p.m., she'll talk about her book Fortytude and sign copies of it as well, as part of the boutique's unique, ongoing series of live events. Go here for more info.
- 28th Toners 2011, an international event for the toners business industry, kicks off today at the . Sessions will be held surrounding commercial and industrial use of toners, sustainable printing, and home and office applications.
- Meanwhile, a second industry conference is taking place in Santa Monica, this one for entertainment CPAs. The Entertainment Industry Conference, presented by the California CPA Education Foundation, happens from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the . Topics include branding, direct-response marketing and various tax issues. Go here for more info.
- Also on the business front, the puts on its latest mixer, at from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. The entrance fee is $15 for members in advance, $20 for members at the door, and for $25 prospective members. Go here for more info.
Last but Not Least
- Crepe master Pierre Denichou will show off his skills at the Patio beginning at 6 p.m.
(Go here for more events happening today.)
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On June 15, 2006, a municipal hydrogen fueling station was dedicated in Santa Monica.
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.
City News Services contributed to this report.