Greetings, and thanks for dropping by the last SM AM Report of the week.
Recapping Thursday, here's what we posted on Santa Monica Patch:
Now, here's what's up today (for more, don't miss our weekend guide):
- June gloom in the morning, sun in the afternoon
- high temperature: 64 degrees
- low temperature: 56 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 10 percent
- humidity: 82 percent
- sunrise: 5:43 a.m.
- sunset: 8:07 p.m.
The Main Event
- At 1 p.m., CityTV will begin its annual broadcast of Santa Monica Little League Championship games. The program consists of two ballgames: the Minor League championship contest between the White Sox and the Cubs, and the Major League Championship match between the Yankees and the Giants. The program will reair Saturday at 10 a.m., Sunday at 3 p.m. and Monday at 7 p.m. In addition to being broadcast on channel 16, the games will be available on CityTV's .
- 's Poetry Slam Battle, which will take place Saturday as part of the , begins today at 8 p.m. with a showcase called Battle for Southern Cali. The two winning teams will get a total of $800. Doors open at 8 p.m., with the show starting a half-hour later; admission is $5.
- Double-features are nothing new at the , but tonight's is a little extra special: The screenings of Laurel and Hardy's The Finishing Touch (1928) and Big Business (1929) will be accompanied by live-music performances. The fun starts at 7:30 p.m.; tickets are $11, with discounts available.
- Acoustic-music group Leftover Cuties, who are based in Venice, play a free gig tonight at . The show, which is due to last from 7 to 11 p.m., is part of the hotel's ongoing concert series.
- Registration continues today for Youth Volleyball Summer Camp and the Santa Monica Youth Volleyball League's fall season. Registration for both starts at 7 a.m. at ; click on the links for more info.
Last but Not Least
- 28th Toners 2011, an international event for the toners business industry, concludes today at the . Go here for more info.
(Go here for more events happening today.)
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On June 17, 2002, the closed for remodeling. It re-opened Jan. 21 the following year.
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.
City News Service contributed to this report.