Greetings, and welcome to the latest SM AM Report.
Here's what we published Tuesday:
Following Summer Solstice on Tuesday, weather buffs might notice that the sunrise is now starting to happen later in the morning: It's gone from 5:43 to 5:44 a.m.
Here's the rest of the forecast, followed by today's events:
- partly cloudy
- high temperature: 71 degrees
- low temperature: 62 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 0 percent
- humidity: 72 percent
- sunrise: 5:44 a.m.
- sunset: 8:09 p.m.
The Main Event
- Star Wars nerds unite: This evening, hosts a talk about the mythology and meaning behind the iconic sci-fi-movie series. The discussion, which runs from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., will be led by instructor Crispin Freeman. The cost is $30. Go here for more info.
- Congratulations to students in the for making it through the school year. Today is the last day of classes.
- The is ready for the summer, having completed construction on the playground at the main branch's new outdoor play area. It will be unveiled at 2 p.m. An average of 500 kids spend time at the center each day during the summer.
- The is also rolling out a new summer feature: Champagne in the Garden, a series taking place every Wednesday for the next few months. The focal champange of the evening is Veuve Clicquot—buy one bottle of that label and get a free bottle of Chandon. There will be couch seating and bottle service too. Go here for more info.
- Progressives wanting to chat about the Republican nominees for president—or, perhaps more uncomfortably, former New York Rep. Anthony Weiner—can go to Drinking Liberally for support. The gathering starts at 7 p.m. at .
- Actor Michael Sarrazin, who passed away Apr. 17, will be remembered with a double-feature at the . Starting at 7:30 p.m., They Shoot Horses, Don't They? and Harry in Your Pocket will be screened. Admission is $11, with discounts available. Go here for more info.
Last but Not Least
- Happy birthday to Mayor .
(Go here for more events happening today.)
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On June 22, 2008, George Carlin died of heart failure at . He was 71.
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.