Where did that rain come from? No, don't give the obvious answer; we mean, who saw it coming? Not the forecasters, apparently, at least not the ones Santa Monica Patch listens to.
A repeat performance isn't slated for today (although one is scheduled for Decider; see below). But before we get to the weather, here's what we published Wednesday: SM Patch columnist/ comedian Robbie Pickard wondered if he was right in helping out an elderly woman; Sports Editor Steve Galluzzo reported on the Samohi girls basketball team sinking in the CIF semifinals; and Moms Council maestro Catherine Myman-Kaplan broke out a new edition of the Grab & Go Kids Planner.
Now that we're done tidying up, here's today's SM AM Report:
- partly cloudy
- high temperature: 64 degrees
- low temperature: 47 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 20 percent
- humidity: 71 percent
- sunrise: 6:20 a.m.
- sunset: 5:52 p.m.
The Main Event
- Are you ready for The Big One—or even a lesser-size one? Here's your chance to make sure: The is putting on an exhibit on disaster preparedness. "Prepare! You Are the Epicenter of Change" will be held at a seemingly unlikely spot—the store—from now through the rest of the month. While tonight's reception will last from 6 to 9 p.m., the store is normally open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays, 12 to 6 p.m. on Sundays.
- The Dance Department kicks off its “Masters of Dance Series” with the program's first class, "Articulating Bodies: Language, Motion, Meaning." The free lecture/ writing workshop will be led by dance performer/ scholar L. Martina Young and take place at 10:30 a.m. in Gym 104 on the school's main campus.
- We won't keep you in suspense any longer: At 7:30 p.m., the will get the reels rolling on a thriller double-feature. First up is 1964's Seance on a Wet Afternoon, followed by 1967's The Whisperers. Both flicks were scored by the legendary John Barry.
- The SMMUSD School Board at its usual time and place: 6 p.m. at the . On the agenda, which can be found here, is—surprise—an update on for the district's , as well as discussions about Head Start, school safety, field trips and a host of other topics.
- Improve your writing by participating in the of the same name. Tonight's session, which takes place from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the , will focus on writing memoirs. Some writing experience is required. Call 310.458.8681 for more info.
Last but Not Least
- The Theatre by the Blind stages the second of three performances it's doing of . The new theatrical production is being hosted by , with the curtains pulling back at 8 p.m. Tickets are $25, but you'll probably need to get them quick, as the first show sold out well in advance.
(Go here for more events happening today.)
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On Mar. 3, 1980, rock legends The Clash played a show at the . They were supporting London Calling, an album that was recognized at the Grammy Awards 27 years later.
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.