Happy Friday the 13th, everyone, and thanks for swinging by the latest SM AM Report.
On Thursday, we published on high school volleyball, as well as new editions of , the and .
Here's what's in store for today:
- mostly cloudy
- high temperature: 67 degrees
- low temperature: 57 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 0 percent
- humidity: 72 percent
- sunrise: 5:54 a.m.
- sunset: 7:47 p.m.
The Main Event
- Micheal Keaton will be on hand at the for a double-feature in tribute to the actor. Starting at 7:30 p.m., Beetlejuice will be shown, followed by a discussion with Keaton, and then a screening of Multiplicity. Tickets are $11, with discounts available; go here for more info.
- Beads from across the globe—including beaded jewelry and beading supplies—will be available for sale at My Favorite Bead Show, an expo happening from today through Sunday at the . Also at the show, classes will be taught by Wendy Simpson Conner, author of The Best Little Beading Book. Today's hours are 12 to 6 p.m.; admission is $6.
- Author Kendall Noxsel will read excerpts from and sign copies of his new book, Romantic Abandonment, at Quantum Sky Studios (3307 Pico Blvd.) from 7 to 11 p.m. For $20, you'll get a copy of the book, plus wine and hors d'oeuvres for the night. Go here for more info.
- 's "Global Film Series" continues with a free screening of the Best Picture-winning family drama Ordinary People. It will take place at 7 p.m. in Room 165 of the Humanities & Social Sciences Building, and Film Studies Professors Josh Kanin and Salvador Carrasco will speak about the movie afterward.
- Having trouble finding work? Brush up on your career skills at "Job Hunting 101," a workshop taking place at the 's Computer Classroom from 4 to 5 p.m. Seating for the intermediate-level class is first-come, first-served.
Last but Not Least
- As usual, a yoga session will be held at the from 9 to 10 a.m.
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On May 13, 1981, U2 played at the Civic Auditorium (source: (JustinsCDRTrading.com)
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.