Greetings, and thanks for swinging by. Happy Bike to Work Day. We hope you're observing it.
On Wednesday, we published a guide to surviving in Santa Monica, courtesy columnist Robbie Pickard; a historical reflection on the Douglas Aircraft factory, by blogger ; and a report on the Samohi volleyball team heading to the Southern Section Finals.
Now, here's what's happening today:
- high temperature: 65 degrees
- low temperature: 55 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 0 percent
- humidity: 65 percent
- sunrise: 5:50 a.m.
- sunset: 7:52 p.m.
The Main Event
- throws its annual Bring Back the Beach shindig at the Jonathan Beach Club from 5 to 11 p.m. The event, which the nonprofit has dubbed "The Ultimate Beach Party," features a performance by Brian Wilson, an auction, a cocktail reception and awards. Read our full preview here.
- The Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District School Board will meet at the starting at 6 p.m. The parcel tax is on the agenda, and there could be some noise about the recently announced salary of the district's new superintendent. (Go here to read our report on Sandra Lyon's pay.)
- The Theatre Company rolls out a new production, Into the Woods, at 8 p.m. Students will perform the amusing musical through Saturday night. Admission is $10 for adults, $5 for students. Go here for more info.
- Accion International, a microfinance and microlending organization, will mark its 50th anniversary with a cocktail reception at the from 6:30 to 9 p.m. The organization's president and CEO, Michael Schlein, will speak about the history of the Accion and its efforts to "help millions help themselves."
- Summer doesn't start until June 21, but the Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel is getting the season off to an early start. From 5 to 7 p.m., BBQ, cocktails and ice cream will be served as part of "Summer of Loews." The event will be held on the lower pool deck; if you haven't already RSVP'd, however, you're too late.
Last but Not Least
- introduces its Winemaking Dinner tonight at 6:30 p.m. The price of the four-course dinner—which includes wine, naturally—is $95. Go here for more info.
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On May 19, 1938, 22-year-old Joanne Reid became the first female pilot to fly the U.S. Mail to Burbank Airport from Clover Field. (source: Santa-Monica-Airport.co.tv).
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.