Hi there, and thanks for swinging by the last SM AM Report of the week.
Now, here's what's happening today:
- partly cloudy
- high temperature: 65 degrees
- low temperature: 55 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 0 percent
- humidity: 72 percent
- sunrise: 5:49 a.m.
- sunset: 7:52 p.m.
The Main Event
- Some of 2011 National Football League draft's top picks—including Randall Cobb of the Green Bay Packers and Edmond “Clyde” Gates of the Miami Dolphins—will swing by to talk with fourth and fifth graders about healthy living options. They'll also work out with the students, answer questions, sign autographs and take pictures with them. The event, which is sponsored by Verizon, takes place from 1 to 3 p.m.
- An opening-night gala will be held for Sylvia, a theatrical production that stars Tanna Frederick playing the role of a dog. The performance is happening on the Main Stage at the , where Frederick previously starred in Just 45 Minutes From Broadway. Tickets to tonight's performance cost $50 and include champagne, hors d’oeuvres and dessert. Proceeds go to New Leash on Life, an animal-rescue charity.
- Percussionist Munyungo Jackson—who has played with Miles Davis and Stevie Wonder, among others—graces for a pair of performances at 7 and 9 p.m. He'll be joined by four other members of his jazz band. Tickets cost $10.
- The Synapse Dance Theater, 's contemporary-dance ensemble, will showcase new pieces by student choreographers and faculty artists at starting at 7:30 p.m. The styles range from hip-hop to modern dance to jazz. Tickets are $15 to $18. Go here for more info.
- The John Adams Middle School Theatre Company's Friday night performance of Into the Woods, a funny musical, begins at 7 p.m. Admission is $10 for adults, $5 for students. Go here for more info.
Last but Not Least
- 's latest addition, , opens today. Go for our preview of what is being billed as an "artisanal food experience."
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On May 20, 1925, the Santa Monica Bay Chamber of Commerce became incorporated (source: Images of America: Early Santa Monica).
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.