Greetings, and thanks for stopping by The SM AM Report. Hope you had a nice, long holiday weekend.
Our Memorial Day coverage included pieces on observances held at and .
Also, get up to speed on the , which start today.
Now, here's the rest of the outlook for today:
- partly cloudy
- high temperature: 67 degrees
- low temperature: 55 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 10 percent
- humidity: 30 percent
- sunrise: 5:44 a.m.
- sunset: 8 p.m.
The Main Event
- New homes at will be christened at 3 p.m., with one of them open for touring by residents and city officials. Ten of the new homes, which are manufactured by Golden West Homes and designed by Marmol Radziner Prefab, have already been installed. The homes are replacing 20 vehicles and mobile homes and feature environmentally friendly assets like solar hot-water heating and solar photovoltaic panels. The construction is being funded by federal agencies and local redevelopment programs.
- 's Spring Dance Showcase happens at Barnum Hall starting at 6 p.m. On the bill are hip-hop tunes; musical selections (from Cabaret, Legally Blonde and Chicago); and special guests. Admission is $5.
- Two new officers will be sworn in at 10 a.m.: Officer Ismael Aldaberto Tavera and Officer George Armando Burciaga. Also at the ceremony, which will take place in the City Council Chambers at , three other officers will be promoted: Jay Trisler (to lieutenant); Rob Blicharski (to sergeant) and Rudy Flores (to sergeant).
- Yelp LA's All Starr Rum Cocktail Challenge concludes today at . Bars across Los Angeles are participating in the contest, with each of them mixing up a different cocktail based around Starr African Rum. The six beverages that get the most nominations by the public will be added to the All Starr Mixology Team LA. Go here for more info.
- The Green Living Workshop continues at the with a class happening from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Go for more info.
Last but Not Least
- Today is the last day to catch the 's , which has been on display since late March.
(Go here for more events happening today.)
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On May 31, 2001, Tex-Mex-flavored indie-rock band Calexico performed at KCRW Studios.
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.