Greetings, and welcome to The SM AM Report. Today is set to be much cooler than Tuesday—but a lot more humid.
Here's what we published Tuesday, in case you missed us:
• Hispanic Heritage Month: Read SMC Alum's Poems (on The Huffington Post)
• Police Finish Investigating Alleged Racial Incident (on Santa Monica Daily Press)
Now, on to today:
- mostly sunny
- high temperature: 65 degrees
- low temperature: 56 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 10 percent
- humidity: 85 percent
- sunrise: 7:02 a.m.
- sunset: 6:15 p.m.
The Main Event
- Movie buffs, take note: There are only two more installments left in the latest season of 's series. Tonight from 7 to 10 p.m. is a screening of the Oscar-nominated movie The Blind Side. Enjoy the complimentary screening on the mall's Dining Deck, Level 3.
- Get your Halloween costume in order at , which hosts an all-day event called "" "Boas, frill booty shorts, thigh highs, socks, wigs, hats, tights, wings ... come in and let us help you put it together," a rep for the store wrote in the event listing.
- The will decide whether to recommend to the the approval of a new mixed-use project at 401 Broadway Avenue. The five-story building would have 56 studio apartments. The commission will also discuss electric-car-only car showrooms on . The meeting starts at 7 p.m. in the City Council Chambers at .
- The at 1425 Montana Ave. hosts the "" all day today. "Bakers must put their own creative spin on a May Cookie Co. mix and create their own recipe or cookie creation," a rep for the company wrote in the event listing. Prizes include gift cards to Whole Foods and Bed Bath & Beyond, kitchenware, cookie mixes and more.
- Author and illustrator Brian Selznick, recipient of the Caldecott Medal, will discuss his new book, Wonderstruck, at . The talk starts at 7 p.m.
Last but Not Least
- continues at the at 7 p.m.
(Go here for more events happening today.)
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On Oct. 19, 2008, the third annual Santa Monica 5000 5k and 10k took place.
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.