Greetings, and welcome to The SM AM Report. If you thought Monday was cool, you'd better bundle up today, as the temperature is forecast to be substantially lower. The weather is anticipated to remain cool until Friday, when a high of 72 degrees is expected.
Here's what we published Monday, in case you missed us:
• City Council to Take Up Parking Meters, Homelessness (from SurfSantaMonica.com)
Now, on to today:
- mostly cloudy
- high temperature: 57 degrees
- low temperature: 54 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 20 percent
- humidity: 98 percent
- sunrise: 7:07 a.m.
- sunset: 6:08 p.m.
The Main Event
- With clean, low-cost water becoming harder to come by in California, RAND policy researcher David Groves will give a talk tonight addressing the issue of water shortages throughout the state, and how to plan for the long term. The discussion starts at 6:30 p.m. at RAND's headquarters (1776 Main St.).
- At 11:30 a.m., will hold a grand-opening ceremony for its new Organic Learning Garden, located outside the main campus' Art Complex patio. The garden, which is sprouting beets, bok choy, carrots, fava beans, kale and lettuce, opened in late August. The free event will feature live music, speakers and food.
- Also at SMC, a powder-puff face-off pitting school staff against students will take place as part of the college's Homecoming Week. The free event will start at 11:30 a.m. at The Quad.
- “Tempura Tuesdays” return today at . Chef Yama-san, who has more than 30 years' experience in tempura cuisine, will dish up his Tempura Omakase Menu ($35) and Tokusen Tempura Omakase Menu ($50). The fun starts at 7 p.m.; reservations are required.
- From 9 p.m. to 2 a.m., hosts Nujack, a night of music, live DJs and other entertainment. There's no cover, and happy hour ($2 off all drinks) runs from 9 to 11 p.m.
Last but Not Least
- An abstract-painting exhibition featuring works by Los Angeles artists Edith Baumann, James Hayward, Scot Heywood, John Miller and Ed Moses opens today at SMC's Pete & Susan Barrett Art Gallery.
(Go here for more events happening today.)
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On Oct. 25, 1970, actor Adam Goldberg (Entourage, Dazed and Confused) was born in Santa Monica.
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.