Greetings, and welcome to The SM AM Report. Today is looking to be a lot less humid than it has been in recent days. Look below for the full weather report.
Here's what we published Wednesday, in case you missed us:
Now, on to today:
- high temperature: 71 degrees
- low temperature: 53 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 0 percent
- humidity: 36 percent
- sunrise: 7:09 a.m.
- sunset: 6:06 p.m.
The Main Event
- The will give out 10 Sustainable Literature Awards at "Sense & Sustainability," an event happening in the 's MLK Auditorium. Environmentalist Bill McKibben, who founded the grassroots climate campaign 350.org, will receive the 2011 Green Prize Pioneer Award. The program starts at 7 p.m.
- Dias de los Muertos, celebrating the upcoming Mexican holiday, opens today at . In the school's Roberts Art Gallery (on the second floor of the History Building), retablos (Latin American devotional paintings) by Samohi students will be featured alongside artwork by students at and , and kids involved with the . The reception is one of many Día de los Muertos events happening in Santa Monica.
- Acclaimed New York Times writer Andrew Revkin will be at to give a talk titled "9 Billion People + 1 Planet = ?” The free lecture will start at 11 a.m. in the SMC Theatre Arts Main Stage. It's part of the college's ongoing Campus Sustainability Week.
- Fifteen minutes after that talk starts, SMC's Homecoming Idol Contest will be held in The Quad. The winner will get to sing the National Anthem during Saturday's Homecoming Game.
- At , SMC's Global Motion World Dance Company presents “The Pursuit of Happiness,” a concert featuring choreography from across the globe. The show starts at 7:30 p.m., and tickets are $18, with discounts available.
Last but Not Least
- starts its new weekly Italian-style dinner series, Morso della Bestia, at 7 p.m.
(Go here for more events happening today.)
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On Oct. 27, 2009, the tallest ice sculpture ever made was unveiled at Ice at Santa Monica. Read more about it in this Reuters report.
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.