Here's a list of streets closing Sunday for the 2013 Los Angeles Marathon, which ends in Santa Monica. They include: the California Incline, Ocean Avenue, San Vicente and sections of Main Street.
The marathon will pass some of L.A.'s world-famous landmarks and draw hundreds of thousands of spectators along the course to cheer their favorite runner to the finish line. The "Stadium to the Sea" course enters Santa Monica on San Vicente Boulevard from Brentwood at 26th Street, then turns south at Ocean Avenue to the finish line at Ocean and California Avenue.
Elite runners will finish the race around 9:30 a.m. Most others will complete the 26.2-mile course about three hours after that. Most streets, however, will remain closed well into the afternoon.
All of San Vicente Boulevard in Santa Monica and Ocean Avenue from San Vicente to Colorado Avenue will be closed beginning at 5 a.m. Sunday. Streets will re-open in the afternoon, with San Vicente expected to be completely re-open by 7 p.m.
Near the finish line, Ocean Avenue might not re-open until around 9 p.m.
Saturday street closures:
- Eastbound Wilshire Boulevard between Second Street and Ocean Avenue will be closed at 3 p.m.
Sunday Street closures:
- Ocean Avenue between Washington and Wilshire (the finish line area) will be closed at midnight Sunday.
- Main Street from Pico Blvd to Colorado Avenue and Olympic Drive from Fourth Street to Main Street will be closed at 1 a.m. (for runner shuttles).
Other street closures will begin at 5 a.m. Sunday.
The westbound lanes of San Vicente Boulevard will remain open, however, all left turns will be prohibited. The eastbound lanes of San Vicente Boulevard will be closed.
Ocean Avenue will be closed to cars between San Vicente and Colorado. Northbound and southbound traffic will be allowed on Ocean Avenue from Pico to Colorado.
The Moomat Ahiko ramp to and from Pacific Coast Highway will be open in both directions.
The California Incline will be closed.
Other downtown Santa Monica street closures:
- Southbound Second from Wilshire to Colorado
- Northbound Fourth Street from Colorado to Broadway is closed to traffic in the morning only and will reopen around noon.
- Colorado from Fourth to Fifth Street is closed permenantly for Expo construction.
- Westbound Wilshire at Fourth (local access only).
- Colorado from Ocean Ave to Second (local access only).
For live updates on street closures and re-openings, visit smgov.net/lamarathon, follow the city on twitter @santamonicacity, watch CityTV cable channel 16 or tune in to Santa Monica’s traffic radio station KRSM 1680AM.
How to Get Around Santa Monica on Marathon Day
A Disneyland Approach to Parking on Marathon Day
Buses to Run Free Shuttles for L.A. Marathon