Greetings, and welcome to the latest edition of The SM AM Report.
There's a strong debate about happening on SM Patch. We encourage you to weigh in and/or .
Here's what's up today:
- massive waves expected
- cloudy in the morning, sunny in the afternoon
- high temperature: 70 degrees
- low temperature: 61 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 10 percent
- humidity: 70 percent
- sunrise: 6:27 a.m.
- sunset: 7:20 p.m.
The Main Event
- If you haven't checked out this year's , you'd better hop to it: Tonight's concert is the second-to-last one of 2011. Heading to the is Americana artist Dawes, along with the winner of the rising artist contest being staged by , which is located on the pier. The show starts earlier than usual, at 6:45 p.m., and lasts until 10 p.m.
- Also as usual, the concert will be preceded by . Wine will be sipped at the starting at 6 p.m.
- Competing with the Twilight Dance Series concert is 's ongoing Live Music Series, which will run from 7 to 11 p.m. Tonight's performer is bossa nova artist Jessica Vautor.
- Coen brothers fans, take note: The is screening a new 35mm print of tonight. The show starts at 7:30 p.m., and admission is $11, with discounts available.
- Seniors are invited to take part in Zumba Gold, a total body workout, from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. at the . The session is free, but you have to be a Senior Center member and 50 or older to participate.
Last but Not Least
- The hosts from 2 to 4 p.m.
(Go here for more events happening today.)
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On Sept. 1, 1927, the Santa Monica Amusement Company was sold to the Amusement Company (Santa Monica Pier: A Century on the Last Great Pleasure Pier).
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.
Correction: Tonight's Twilight Dance Series concert starts at 6:45 p.m., not 7 p.m.