Greetings, and welcome to the latest SM AM Report.
Here's everything we published Tuesday, in case you missed us:
Now, here's what's up today:
- partly cloudy
- high temperature: 66 degrees
- low temperature: 60 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 10 percent
- humidity: 77 percent
- sunrise: 6:41 a.m.
- sunset: 6:52 p.m.
The Main Event
- Jackie Goldberg will speak to the Santa Monica Democratic Club about "insidious ideological attacks" on public education by "corporate privatizers" and "austerity hawks." Goldberg, who is a former Assemblymember and ex-president of the Los Angeles Unified School District Board of Education, will also answer answer questions from the crowd. The free event, dubbed "Public Education Under Siege," takes place from 7 to 9 p.m. at .
- Not to be confused with happening Friday is a related workshop being held this afternoon at . At "Technology & Your Teens," parents and kids can learn about safely navigating online, “netiquette” and safe-smart rules. The workshop will be facilitated by Safely Ever After, Inc., founder Pattie Fitzgerald and run from 12 to 2 p.m. Lunch will be provided.
- hosts tonight from 7 to 10 p.m. Attendees will learn about accounting, human resources, marketing and other aspects of running a small business.
- The 's Recent Belgian Cinema series continues with a screening of the 2010 mockumentary Hitler in Hollywood. The movie will be shown in French and Portuguese with English subtitles. It starts at 7:30 p.m. Admission is $11, with discounts available.
- launches a new series tonight: "Breakadawn Tuesdays." Held from 9 to 11 p.m., the event will feature hip-hop, house and R&B tunes courtesy resident DJs J.Biz, Pyro, Dash and Relyt. There's no cover charge.
Last but Not Least
- continues tonight with a screening of American Graffiti. The movie starts at 7 p.m. on the Dining Deck, Level 3, of .
(Go here for more events happening today.)
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On Sept. 21, 1931, the city moved forward with a bond measure financing the construction of a yacht harbor in Santa Monica (source: Santa Monica Pier: A Century on the Last Great Pleasure Pier).
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.