Greetings, and welcome to the latest SM AM Report.
Here's what we published Wednesday, in case you missed us:
Now, here's what's up today:
- partly cloudy
- high temperature: 70 degrees
- low temperature: 61 degrees
- chance of precipitation: 10 percent
- humidity: 76 percent
- sunrise: 6:42 a.m.
- sunset: 6:51 p.m.
The Main Event
- Pulitzer Prize-winning humor columnist Dave Barry and bestselling suspense author Ridley Pearson will be at 's Track 16 to talk about the recent book they co-wrote, Bridge to Never Land. The discussion, part of the Live Talks Los Angeles series, starts at 8 p.m., with a reception happening from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $20 to $95.
- staff will give a progress report to the Board of Education on Thursday evening regarding directives issued by board members in the wake of an alleged incident of racial harassment at . The meeting starts at 6 p.m. at the district office.
- New to biking? Learn some important tips at "Cycling for Beginners: Health Benefits and Tips for the Street," an event presented by the Santa Monica Public Library. Doctors from the UCLA Medical School and Sustainable Streets will discuss bike safety and health benefits. The event starts at 7 p.m. in the 's MLK Auditorium.
- Allen Rucker, author of The Best Seat in the House: How I Woke Up One Tuesday and Was Paralyzed for Life, will give a lecture at this morning. The free talk, dubbed “Dis This! Disability in America," will take place at 11:15 a.m. in the SMC main campus' Humanities & Social Science Lecture Hall 165.
- Meanwhile, the will host a free lecture of its own: "History of the Lifeguards of the Santa Monica Bay." The talk, given by lifeguard veteran and history professor Dr. Arthur Verge, starts at 7 p.m.
Last but Not Least
- TV-personality chef Bobby Flay will be at to hype his new book, Bobby Flay's Bar American Cookbook: Celebrate America's Great Flavors. The event starts at 7 p.m.
(Go here for more events happening today.)
This Day in Santa Monica History
- On Sept. 22, 2006, the three-day International Gem & Jewelry Show began at the .
Did you take a great pic of SM in the early morning? Want to see it in The SM AM Report? Drop a note to Kurt.Orzeck@patch.com.