The 36th annual Santa Monica-Venice Christmas Run 5k and 10k runs will wind their way through Venice and Santa Monica, including a stretch of the Venice Boardwalk Saturday. This year's race events are sold out.
Street closures for the race are as follows:
- 6–11 a.m.: Pacific Avenue between Navy Street and S. Venice Boulevard (with some openings at selected times, see below)
- 6–10 a.m.: S. Venice Boulevard between Pacific Avenue and Lincoln Boulevard
- 6-10 a.m.: Abbot Kinney Boulevard between S. Venice and Washington boulevards.
People who are west of Pacific Avenue and between Navy Street and S. Venice Boulevard who want to go to and from or across Pacific Avenue will be able to do so before 7 a.m., between 7:50 and 8:45 a.m. and after 9:50 a.m. The Los Angeles Department of Transportation if providing officers to provide guidance.
The event, which got its start in 1977, is a popular event with many racers running in costume. Judging takes place at 10 a.m. Awards are given in the following categories:
- "Christmas Spirit Award" for Best Christmas Themed Costume
- "Santa's Little Helpers Award" for Best Dressed Group of 5 people or more
- "Most Original Award" for the Most Original Costume
An event expo is held from 7-11 a.m. at the finish line in Santa Monica.