A very encouraging meeting regarding Santa Monica Airport (SMO) took place on January 10, 2013 at the home of Los Angeles Councilman Bill Rosendahl.
At the request of the councilman, Congresswoman Karen Bass and newly elected Santa Monica Councilman Tony Vazquez joined in the meeting along with Bill's chief of staff, Mike Bonin; also CA Senator Ted Lieu joined in on the conversation by conference call. The meeting was arranged by Bill so that both Joan and I could have the opportunity to discuss Santa Monica Airport with our new Congresswoman.
I met with Congresswoman Karen Bass, Santa Monica City Councilman Tony Vazquez, constituents Joan and Marty Rubin, Chief of Staff Mike Bonin and Senior Counsel Norman Kulla to discuss ways of putting more pressure on the federal government to support closing Santa Monica Airport, and create a safer and healthier environment for my constituents who live near the airfield.
Among the items discussed, Bill said he wanted official Los Angeles representation with regard to the future use of the Santa Monica Airport land.
New political activity regarding Santa Monica Airport:
- Due to redistricting, Congressman Henry Waxman's constituent base not only includes Santa Monica, but Venice as well.
- The remaining areas immediately surrounding SMO (Mar Vista and West Los Angeles) are now a part of Congresswoman Karen Bass's constituent base.
- Due to redistricting Senator Ted Lieu will have the unique distinction of representing all the areas surrounding SMO until the next state election.
- In the State Assembly, former Santa Monica Council Member and Mayor Richard Bloom and Assemblywoman Holly Mitchell will now represent the areas surrounding SMO.
- Two newly elected Santa Monica City Council Members, Tony Vazquez and Ted Winterer bring experience and new energy to the Council.
- Los Angeles Neighborhood Councils continue their efforts to have SMO impacts addressed.