Santa Monica Police Department detectives Monday asked for the public's help in trying to unravel what happened to a man who was assaulted in Santa Monica.
Police were sent to the 300 block of Santa Monica Boulevard on Dec. 11 at 10:15 p.m. when a man told police he was assaulted while walking west on the sidewalk on the north side of the street when a suspect approached him, cursed him, and tried to start a fight, according to Sgt. Jay Moroso of the Santa Monica Police Department.
Officers searched the area and did not immediately find the assailant. But the next day at about 1:20 a.m. officers found a person in the area of Fourth Street and Wilshire Boulevard matching the description of the suspect.
The suspect also made statements indicating he may have been involved in the assault. Police also found a warrant that had been issued for his arrest and he was taken into custody. Detectives are awaiting a visual confirmation from the victim before charging the suspect.
At the time, police told media the assault may have been what is called "The Knockout Game" in which unsuspected victims are punched from behind without provocation. But detectives determined this was not the case since words were exchanged by both parties prior to the attack.
Initial information also indicated police stood by after the assault when the suspect was only 30 feet away and did not arrest him. When more police arrived, the suspect had fled. But he was found three hours later and arrested.
Now detectives are trying to get to the bottom of what happened.
Anyone with information was asked to call Detective Eddie Soto at (310) 458-8218 or (310) 458-8495.— City News Service