At the Sept. 24 Santa Monica City Council meeting city Staff will submit the following recommendations regarding a bikesharing implementation program in the city requesting that the council:
- Direct staff to seek potential funding for the forecasted annual operating deficit for the bikeshare system through sponsorship, with the option to pursue advertising revenue to the extent sponsorship revenue is infeasible or insufficient
- Authorize the City Manager to accept a grant of $500,000 for the bikeshare system and to execute a grant funding agreement with the South Coast Air Quality Management District Mobile Source Air Pollution Reduction Committee
- Appropriate the budget increase
- Direct staff to continue to work with other Westside Council of Government Cities and Metro to seek coordination of the bikeshare system across jurisdictions
- Review and comment on use of streets and sidewalks and other City property as bikeshare station locations
- Authorize staff to release a Request for Proposals to procure a system and contract operator consistent with Council direction.
What do you think of a city bikesharing program? Tell us in the comments.