A Culver City boy mauled by a pit bull named Monster at a Santa Monica park in 2010 could receive $325,000 under a settlement approved Tuesday night by the City Council.
"This was a very sad case," said City Attorney Marsha Moutrie.
The dog attacked 7-year-old Zachary Rasmussen in October 2010 at after jumping on and opening an unlocked gate at the park's small dog run.
Rasmussen was "viciously attacked in the head, neck, shoulders and back," his attorney Brian Nelson wrote in a negligence suit filed against the city and Monster's owner in March of last year.
Deputy City Attorney Lance Gams said the service gate had been rarely used and "didn't seem to be problem" before the attack.
Had the case gone to trial and the plaintiff won, a jury could have awarded Rasmussen upwards of $1 million, Gams said.
The boy—who reportedly suffered some brain damage as a result of the attack—sought compensation for medical bills and rehabilitation, as well as future health care expenses and damages for pain and suffering.
"The jury was going to have to decide whether they were really going to send this boy away without any compensation," Gams said. "The settlement is a good one for everybody, especially for the city."
The settlement requires approval from a Los Angeles Superior Court judge before it’s official.