1. The Annenberg Beach House pool is usually only open on weekends, but will be open today as part of the Martin Luther King holiday. The pool will be open from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. today and passes go on sale at 9:30 a.m. No reservations needed. Details here.
2. Placemaking and Community is the first of two panels and three events moderated by Annenberg Beach House 2014 Writer in Residence Helen Lessick. The event will take place Tues. Jan. 21 from 6:30 – 8 p.m. Details here.
3. Los Angeles CD 11 Councilman Mike Bonin will be the guest speaker at the Santa Monica Democrats Club on Mike Bonin, 11th Council District, City of Los Angeles, will be guest speaker at the Santa Monica Democratic Club on Wednesday night, 7 p.m. Jan. 22. Bonin will discuss issues that affect both Santa Monica and constituents in his district too, including the Santa Monica Airport. Details here.
4. The Santa Monica Civic Working Group will hold its next meeting on January 21 at 6:30 p.m. in the East Wing of the Civic Auditorium. Items on the agenda include ways to approach the planning process and an update of civic activities. Details here.
5. It’s not too late to volunteer to take part in Santa Monica’s homeless count, which will take place on Wed. Jan. 29 from 10:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. at St. Monica’s Catholic Church. Details on how to register can be found here.