1. Hang 10, dude! Check out ‘The Living Curl,’ narrated in person by the creator of the film, Mr. Jamie Budge. This film is all about surfers in the early 60s when Gidget first brought the world’s eyes to the California scene. Tonight, 8 p.m., California Heritage Museum, 2612 Main St. Santa Monica
2. The City of Santa Monica’s Resource Recovery and Recycling Division Textile is holding a recycling event on Saturday, at the City Yards (2500 Michigan Avenue). Bring clean and dry textiles like clothing, paired shoes, towels, sheets, scarves, hats, bags and belts between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.
3. Start this Sunday morning off on the creative side of the bed, filled with painting, coffee, tea and a light breakfast fare at the Painters Breakfast Lab from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. Cost $25 - Includes all the brushes, paints, easels, set up and cleanup, coffee, tea, oatmeal or bagel. 2912 Main St. Mention Santa Monica Patch and get a 10 percent discount.
4. Malibu artist Petra Eiko will be exhibiting for the second time at The Broad Stage with her interactive public art installation—the-green-heart project—on Sunday, September 1 from 11a.m.–3 p.m. 1310 11th St.
5. Labor Day is Monday. Did you know was first nationally recognized in 1894 to placate unionists following the Pullman Strike? What are your plans for Labor Day?